Hello again, dear readers, and I hope this late-as-fuck post finds you happy and well. My life has been a whirlwind of travel, family, and holidays, so I am once again knee-sliding it under the wire, hours before The Walking Dead’s Season 6 mid-season finale, “Start To Finish,” airs.
It’s pretty crazy that we’re here already, the mid-season finale…always such a bittersweet time. The TWD mid-season finale is always epic, sure to please, and then, the long eight weeks before we reunite with our favorite show, and our sweet gang.
We must keep the love alive, people, during this long and lonely stretch. Watch, rewatch, revel, re-experience, realize, re-evaluate, photograph, meme, post, comment, double tap, tweet, draw, paint, blog…reach out to your TWD compadres, around the world, to help ease the pain until we all meet again in February 2016.
I do have some worry about what tonight’s mid-season finale, Episode 608, is going to bring, people. I cannot lie. I got worry, but I also got Stellas, and Bach’s Rescue Remedy, dear family, TWD family, and my WD buddy, who is also my Daryl Partner. I have my Hello Kitty blanket and my cozy little dog to snuggle with during the hard parts.
And, after the episode, there will be Talking Dead, an hour later than we could really use it (please stop doing that, AMC) but when TWD does (finally) come on, Chris Hardwick will be there, as will Robert Kirkman (and two surprise guests, who may be two episode casualties…always so sad, but also comforting to see them alive and well, laughing on the couch).
Of course, then there will be a barnfullawalkers post, and there will be a playlist to wrap it all up for a eight weeks’ time. And, as we know, dear TWD fans and readers, we will survive. We have each other.
Now that we’ve gotten all that preamble out of the way, let us try to remember what the hell happened last week. Lots of shit of lots of levels happening all over the place, as I remember it.
So, in my Season 6 slack-style, let’s renumerate, and remark upon, some of the more memorable moments of TWD Episode 607, “Heads Up.”
- Glenn’s alive! I mean, that’s really the big one, and it all pretty much happened like we were hoping it would: Nicholas’s corpse bought Glenn the brief moments he needed to slide himself quickly and quietly under the dumpster to wait it out, stabbing the grabby Front-Row Walkers in the heads if they got too close with his trusty knife, until, eventually, the walkers wander off and Glenn emerges, unbitten and alive to see another day…or another few hours, at least.
- Enid’s Back! And, seemingly, not a Wolf…but, sure enough, dear readers, all will be revealed in due time. For now, Enid seems to have holed herself up in an abandoned apartment and indulged in some serious comfort eating with a store of canned foods. After doing Glenn a solid and offering him some bottled water, Glenn tries to repay the favor by trying out his parenting style on her, telling Enid that she needs to come back to Alexandria. After the predictable teen angst/rebellion/”what’s the point, we’re all doomed” back and forth, Glenn seems to get her on board with the Alexandria Plan. When we leave Glenn and Enid in Episode 607, they are releasing green helium balloons from the side of the road, which float up in the air and signal Maggie that her one true love is still alive. Very sweet and symbolic, and prompting me to exclaim, once again, “Man, these Alexandrians are mad stocked! Helium tanks and shit!”
- Gang, I gotta say, I really do not think that Maggie was trying to be a dick when she said that thing to Rick about Judith looking like Lori. Seriously, gang, I really think Maggie was trying to be sweet. That stunt baby they are using for Judith these days really does look like Lori, and Maggie was raised by her momma and daddy to be a polite and respectable young woman. She loves Rick and wouldn’t throw shade at him like that, and besides, she’s got mommas and babies on the brain right now. Cut her a break, truly. Maggie isn’t like that. If Rick looked weird after Maggie said that, it might be because it always sucks when someone tells you that your kid looks like the other parent. Trust me as one who knows. Even if it’s true, when some person’s like, “Oh, he/she looks just like (the other parent, the one that isn’t you),” you’re always like, “Goddamn it!” in your heart and mind. I don’t know, it must be an ego thing.
- Spencer thinks he’s Batman and shit. Christ. Grappling hook and the whole nine. I mean, E for effort, I guess, but D for dumbass, too, you know? Spencer, Spencer, Spencer, doesn’t Rick Grimes have enough on his plate? And you’ll never land Rosita that way, so tighten up, Deanna’s son. Seriously. Props for being proactive and shit, but do us all a favor and leave the grappling hooks for those who know what the fuck they’re doing next time, ok?
- Deanna. Deanna, Deanna, Deanna. Girlfriend’s got the crazy hair and is all holding up her drawing, like, “Look! I finally figured out where we should plant the alfalfa!” Rick and Michonne exchange looks, like, “Dude, If this were a Bugs Bunny episode, there’d be a little door opening up in the center of Deanna’s forehead, and a little bird on the end of a spring would be boinging out, going, “Cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo!” Deanna Monroe is a sweet woman who was a good peacetime leader, but she is way out of her league in these times. I usually don’t do this, but I would place a wager towards Deanna/Tovah Feldshuh being one of the “surprise guests” on tonight’s mid-season finale episode of Talking Dead tonight…my WD buddy and I agreed that it’s hard to imagine what Deanna Monroe, as a character, has to contribute to the gang, or the storyline, from this point forward.
- And, speaking of looks, did you all catch that look that Rick Grimes gave Michonne when they were standing at the wall? That look he gave her when he looked her face, her fine form, up and down as she was serving him up some truth in the way that only Michonne can? I thought I was dreaming it, but my WD buddy confirmed that that look was a “I want to fuck you” look. I don’t know if Gimple was pandering to us Richonners or what, but that look was so hot. I do love Jessie, and have been able to put my Richonne-shipping aside to put my sincere support behind Rick and Jessie as a couple, but god, that look was EVERYTHING. Truly a taste of the supreme hotness that these two supreme beings would bring if they ever were to be a couple. ❤ ❤
- Rick and Michonne may very well have to console each other nakedly if that little fucking shooter-wannabe Ron McSlappy gets to unload his handgun into Carl. We knew that little McSlappy shit was not to be trusted. Just like dearly departed old dad, McBeaty. If Ron shoots Carl, then that shit would be a definite dealbreaker for the future of Ressie, or Jessick, depending on who you ask.
- Hmmm, let’s see…Alanna Masterson, who plays Tara, was looking pretty pregnant in Episode 607…if she ends up being on tonight’s Talking Dead couch as a recently-deceased character, I know that her bittersweet is vastly outweighed by her newborn baby, who she has been posting about on her Instagram page, @lucytwobows
- I personally think Gabriel has done his time in the “holy doghouse” and everyone needs to stop being a dick to him. Especially Rick. I did not enjoy Rick’s rudeness when he slapped down Gabriel’s flyer off the post. Even Carl was like, “Dad!” I was glad to see Gabriel putting another flyer up to replace it when Rick walked away. Rudeness is never sexy, darlings. Remember that.
- I loved the exchange between Rosita and Eugene during the fight-training session. After kissing his lying ass, and saving his lying ass, countless times, Rosita finally got to get hers on Eugene and tell him how things are going to be. She was eloquent and adorably strong and sexy as hell while doing so, as well. Props and Deadie to Christian Serratos, as well as undying girlcrush devotion. ❤
- I also loved the exchange between Rick, Morgan, Michonne, and Carol, when Morgan got called to Principal Grime’s office to explain all this pacifistic nonsense. I loved that Rick, Michonne, and Carol listened to Morgan, let him be (mostly) honest with them, and I liked what Rick, Michonne, and Carol each had to offer in reply (basically, three versions of the same message: Nice idea in theory, but in actual practice, do you really think it’s realistic, especially in light of the fact that each time you let someone go, they come back to fuck it up worse for the rest of us?
- And then, of course, the delicious scene when Queen Carol tails Morgan and Denise (who, in my opinion, is being a good doctor, respecting the whole “doctor/patient confidentiality” code and ready to treat the needy without being all judgy about it…in my book, Denise abides), and finally confronts Morgan, demanding to know who he has locked up in that house…only to be interrupted, of course, by…
- The Damn watchtower falling the fuck down and the horde of Hangry, Hangry Walkers pouring in to Alexandria…fuck, man. I mean, fuck. The look on Rick’s face. Fuck, fuck, fuck.
And so, here we are. There are walkers pouring into Alexandria, Glenn and Enid are close by, and Daryl, Abraham, and Sasha are driving Patty the full-of-flammable-liquids fuel truck, armed with a grenade launcher and about 5 or 6 grenades. I gotta go tuck the kiddies into bed, assemble and load Episode 607’s playlist, and then we TWD fans will all settle in, beverage up, and do this thing. TWD Season 6 mid-season finale, here we come!
Be strong, my Walking Dead Obsessed darlings, and enjoy the playlist:
Band of Horses, “Is There a Ghost”
Grimes, “Flesh Without Blood”
The Hangmen, “Homesick Blues”
Big Grams, “Lights On”
The Church, “Under The Milky Way”
The Vivian Girls, “Tell The World”
Minor Threat, “Screaming At A Wall”
Gojira, “World To Come”